canberrabirds

AOI: Currawang - sparrowhawk?

To: "'jude hopwood'" <>, "'COG'" <>
Subject: AOI: Currawang - sparrowhawk?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 21:58:07 +1100
Well yes that certainly fits a Collared Sparrowhawk. It equally fits a Brown Goshawk. From what you describe as your viewing the only way to pick the difference between the two is the end of the tail or the size. Yes the rufous bands are visible when it flies for both species but maybe you didn't get the time to focus on this, especially if not seen from underside.