canberrabirds

For interest - hybrid sulphur-crested cockatoo-little corella

To: "'Cog line'" <>
Subject: For interest - hybrid sulphur-crested cockatoo-little corella
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 22:38:29 +1100
I would suspect that as (if) abundance of Little Corellas increases, incidents of hybridisation should decrease, as each species is then easier able to find the correct partners (which is the usual preference). If all other things are equal, I suggest hybridisation is more likely when one species is rare and one is common.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Ian Fraser [ Sent: Friday, 26 October 2012 7:04 PM    Cc: Cog line

Without presuming to disagree with Joe, I'm curious about this. LCs and SCCs overlap over a huge area of Australia without significant hybridisation that I'm aware of. I wonder why he thinks it will be an issue here? I wonder further if the hybridisation didn't occur in captivity. As I say, just wondering...

happy weekend all

Ian