canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Kellys Swamp - Aus. Little Bittern, Intermediate Egr

To: <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Kellys Swamp - Aus. Little Bittern, Intermediate Egret
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 17:30:00 +1100

Now that the matter of the egrets has been raised, a fuller account is as follows.  I think I was first in position in the hide so conveniently named “Cygnus” by Harvey Perkins so many years ago, when a single egret flew into view, resting and warming itself in the faint sunshine, this being immediately recognisable as an Intermediate by the prominent breast-plumes.  Soon after I was joined by an overseas visitor (OV) to whom I pointed out the egret and explained the difference from the Great, which he digested, consulting the guide in his smart-phone at the same time.  Rather later, a Great was seen flying past in the distance.  Perhaps a half-hour later a second egret made a pass over the first, which took flight, and eventually settled in a tree in the company of the newcomer.  “Now”, I said, “we have an excellent opportunity to compare the two species”.  In so saying, I misled not only the OV but Lindell, who had arrived at about that time, because after a few minutes the OV interjected:  “Hang on, I think that second egret is also an Intermediate”. And so it proved:  later egrets are not always what you might assume the to be.  “Well done”, I commended warmly, “nothing more I can tell you about the subject”.   At that time the GE was out the back in BTNH-land, consorting with a White-faced Heron.