canberrabirds

Buff-banded rail in my Chapman GBS

To: <>
Subject: Buff-banded rail in my Chapman GBS
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 11:00:05 +1100
After the excitement of having Brown Quail in my GBS a fortnight ago (still 4 there this morning), it was even a greater surprise to be confronted by an adult Buff-banded Rail (in the open less than 2 metres away from me) in a garden bed less than 10 metres from our front door around 9 am this morning.

My daughter and I unsuccessfully spent over 5 minutes stalking it through the bushes (it wouldn’t fly) trying to get a photo before it moved into some very thick vegetation and could not be located again.  However, we both had lots of good clear but fleeting views and there is no doubt of the identification.

To me it’s just an other illustration of the topsy turvy season we seem to be having.  So keep an eye and ear out, and expect the unexpected!!

Jack Holland