canberrabirds

danger--snake

To: Birds Canberra <>
Subject: danger--snake
From: Elizabeth Compston <>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 12:00:42 +1000
We have just returned from Callum Brae.  I wondered why there were no Striated
Pardalotes in the nests that they have been building and occupying along the
south side of the gully.  Then I saw what may be one reason.  A long brown
snake was hanging over the edge of the gully.It was hanging down about 30--40
cms and then curled back on itself.  Pardalotes were diving it frantically. It
had a largish frog in it's mouth.  When it had swallowed the frog it went into
a pardalote's nest, between 20 and 30cms.  We did not see what it got but it
then decided to leave.  The pardalotes were still frantically flying around the
hole, but they did not enter it while we were there

How do snakes manage to hold on and not slide down the bank?  The heaviest part
of the snake was well over the edge

Elizabeth