canberrabirds

double birding adventures

Subject: double birding adventures
From: Julian Teh <>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 18:14:36 +1000
Matt and I have been at it again!
first trip was down ginninderra creek, our regular hunting ground. first thing
we saw was a male Brown Goshawk in the tree strip behind the kippax playing
fields. it had caught a male red rumped parrot, and was quite wary of us, and
didn't stay long.
The regular suspects were present at Jaramlee pond, including many coots,
hardheads, moorhens and Australasian Grebes. The little pied cormorant usually
present hasn't been around for a while, first with a little black cormorant in
it's place, and currently there is a Great cormorant swimming around! I was
surprised to see it so far from the lake.
At the second pond, we were surrounded with fairy martins - hanging upside down
over a drain we located 4+ nests, active by the looks of it. We'll go back
soon, hoping to report hungry mouths in the nests!!
Finally, we went to the "windbreak" area across the creek, and caught up with
some Double Barred Finches and scrub wrens. Just as we were about to head home,
we caught sight of a sacred kingfisher and followed it. we spent some time
observing the bird, and it's back was very dark, almost black, which I believe
is not common. Several dusky woodswallows about as well.

Today we went out to Kama nature reserve, and covered a good deal of it, also
crossing in to the molongolo section and walking by the river. We saw Red
Browed Finches, Striated pardalotes, Wood & Pacific Black Duck, Fairy Wrens,
Rufous Whistler, Scarlet Robin, and the usual ravens, magpies, peewees etc.
The three more interesting birds were a male White Winged Triller, a pale morph
Little Eagle seen form a distance, and a new one for me, the Brown Treecreeper.
the treecreeper responded very quickly to some recordings, and hopped around
quite close to us for a time.

Julian Teh