canberrabirds

Bird battles of Boobialla Street ... or nature raw in beak and claw ...

To: "canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Bird battles of Boobialla Street ... or nature raw in beak and claw ...
From: "Barbara Preston" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 16:36:17 +1000
It’s been the battles of the birds that have given our garden interest over recent months ...
* In mid July I thoughtlessly picked around 60 proteas from our garden for a function at the Timor Leste embassy.  Up until then the wattle birds and eastern spinebills were happily sharing the nectar bounty of the garden. After the protea nectar vanished the wattle birds spent a huge amount of time looking out for the ESBs and a huge amount of energy chasing them (they always returned – I see both species in a particularly floriferous grevillea as I have my morning cup of tea, though the ESBs are not in the garden most of the day as the RWB and offspring now are)
* For some months there were constant aerial dog-fights with magpies, magpie-larks, currawongs, and others attempting to send off the crows that have nested high up in in our tall E. viminalis.
* For a few weeks until recently the crows were constantly stalking and attacking our rather tame (too pathetic and friendly) currawongs.
* This morning I heard a great commotion among the crimson rosellas (there is a pair that’s always around, spending a lot of time in the hakea just outside my first floor office window, often joined by several others). And a few hours later I saw a crow parent feeding a good sized offspring from the carcase of an adult crimson rosella. I could not get a picture of the feeding, but the attached pics are of the adult with the carcase, and the carcase after it had been dropped onto a prickly hakea on our nature strip.

Barbara
Barbara Preston Research
ABN 18 142 854 599
21 Boobialla Street