canberrabirds

Nest ID please

To: "canberrabirds chatline" <>
Subject: Nest ID please
From: "Julian Robinson" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 19:02:19 +1000

This nest was today in the link between Jerra Grasslands and Callum Brae, about 7m up a redgum(?).  It’s about 30-40cm diameter and has an unusual entrance, very deep and angled not pointing up like a cup, but not a side entrance either, about 45º from vertical.  I think that’s the way it was built i.e. it didn’t slip sideways, though this is possible.  It’s made mostly of coarse grass and small twigs.

Is it a Noisy Miner nest?  If so, is the small entrance typical, and is the angle of the entrance typical?  It doesn’t look like another NM nest I’ve seen which was much less bulky.  Thanks in advance for any illumination.

Julian

www.flickr.com/photos/ozjulian/