canberrabirds

Wader

To: "'Julian Teh'" <>
Subject: Wader
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 19:18:22 +1000

Quite possibly, Julian

From: Julian Teh [
Sent: Tuesday, 11 September 2012 6:49 PM
To: Geoffrey Dabb
Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] Wader

Looking at Geoff's photo of the sharpies with stints, I have to say I'm convinced I saw a sharp tail....

Julian Teh

Sent from My iPad

On 11/09/2012, at 11:02 AM, "Geoffrey Dabb" <> wrote:

Yes Bob, people like Steve Holliday seem to ID these effortlessly but I often get distracted by irrelevant features.  I thought the bill on this chap looked quite non-RNS but Jeff Davies says it’s ‘within range’.  The top 2 are this one, Cb for current bird.  The middle snap from elsewhere shows what I regard as typical Red-neckeds ( with a couple of sharpies).  Very white underneath.  The lower snap is the stint from FSP last October, with a sharpie.  The other thing is the overall colour which varies substantially with the light.  The lower snap was in early morning yellow sunlight.  The 2 above were yesterday in strong early afternoon sun.  You can also see the degrading effects of heat shimmer.  In that situation, much better quality shots are obtained in the early morning – which also has the advantage of reducing thermal noise where that is a problem  -  given the temperature range these days between zero and 20 degrees.

<image002.jpg>