canberrabirds

modelling of Common Myna impact in Canberra

To: <>, <>
Subject: modelling of Common Myna impact in Canberra
From: <>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 08:01:49 +1000
Hi All,

It's interesting where I live, hearing the reaction to the SMH article, and the
PLoS One paper. I live on Magnetic Island off Townsville, where there are
usually no mynas. Right now, there are at least 6 that have made it over from
the mainland, presumably accompanying the ferries, since the ferry terminal is
where the birds are stationed. The overwhelming reaction among my good friends,
who are typically conservation minded, has been that the SMH article
(misconstrued as it is compared to the less clear conclusions of the original
publication) is justification for what they've always "known" about mynas, i.e.
they are a serious pest and culling should occur. I agree, we should try to
cull them on the island, provided it's not at the expense of some other
conservation outcome. However, my experience of mynas in northern Australia is
very different to "rats of the sky", "cane toads of the air" type sentiments
sometimes applied. I (and my immediate colleagues) undertake systematic surveys
of fauna (and flora) across north Queensland and have been involved in over
1600 permanent fauna (sometimes just birds) monitoring sites (1 ha each), many
visited repeatedly. We conduct 8 bird counts per hectare site. Our surveys
typically avoid anthropogenic influence as much as possible. We obtain
somewhere between 10,000 and 50,000 bird records annually (not necessarily that
many individual birds of course), and we have counted exactly zero mynas in our
travels. And they've been in north Qld a loooong time.

I seriously doubt that they represent a significant threat to any Australian
bird species, and where a threat may occur, it is in an urban, periurban or
agricultural setting, where the mynas are riding the habitat modification. Try
finding a myna away from serious anthropogenic habitat alteration in
mid-eastern to northern Australia. From my (significantly less) experience
around Canberra and further south, it's the same there - except the challenge
is turned on its head - i.e. try finding an area away from serious
anthropogenic habitat alteration.

I think mynas are a lesson in human psychology - many of us just don't like
them. I think that's ok as long as it's acknowledged for what it is and not
taken to be part of an important conservation outcome.

I think noisy miners (and yt miners) may be a problem to other native birds in
some circumstances. They are not especially common in our surveys, but we do
record them from time to time in seemingly intact woodlands and forest. Those
sites are invariably depauperate in a select set of woodland birds. Correlation
or causation? I think causation, but I'm not sure.

Eric Vanderduys