canberrabirds

More (shudder) on mynas

To: <>
Subject: More (shudder) on mynas
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 13:54:31 +1000

Many will be tired of this subject, others will remain interested, perhaps fascinated by the feelings aroused.  I am a little concerned we are all being pushed into corners, which does not help understanding of what is going on out there.   May I therefore state my position, and what I am concerned about.  I have been interested in birds for more than 60 years, and I have known the C Myna for nearly as long as that - from its adopted homeland around Melbourne.   I have watched its expansion in the local woodlands over more than 30 years, and I believe it is an aggressive competitor for nesting hollows.

I do not particularly like the species.  We would be better off without it.  I support the efforts to eliminate it, if that is what people think is the best use of their time in regulating the relative proportions of species present in the natural world around us.  I do not think it appropriate to whip up emotion about it, because this is a distraction from many other unfortunate things that are going on in the natural world.

I have taken that position consistently.  May I go back a couple of years ago to just one of the occasions we previously talked about this.  Below is my contribution (not my heading)

Myna thuggery

from [Geoffrey Dabb]

[Permanent Link][Original]

<m("canberrabirds.org.au","canberrabirds");">>

Myna thuggery

"Geoffrey Dabb" <m("iinet.net.au","gdabb");">>

Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:30:41 +1100

Without saying what others should think about this, I shall offer what I
think.  I do not subscribe to the demonization of the C Myna.  They are
successful inhabitants of the built environment; it has been said they do
not occur out of sight of human habitation.  Most birds in the suburbs are
here because they have adapted to the suburbs, some very successfully,
perhaps having exploded as a result of European alteration of the wider
environment (ie much of Australia), like Galahs, magpies, magpie-larks and
Crested Pigeons.   Goshawks and sparrowhawks also prosper in this artificial
environment because of the abundance of easy targets, whether introductions
or new artificial-habitat-exploiters (in particular Crested Pigeons).  Of
course in this suburban zoo different species that would never interact in
the ('natural') wild press upon one another, hence, eg the annual cleaning
out of blackbird nests by nesting P Currawongs, and screeching competition
for hollows by the exotic-seed-raised abundance of hollow-nesters.  See
heroes, villains and victims in these interactions if you wish.

I recall a BASNA seminar a few years ago where one researcher demonstrated
that the Noisy Miner was a greater threat to small birds than the C Myna.  I
believe this has been linked to health of the woodlands.  Indeed, there is a
project on the south Coast aimed at reducing Bell Miner concentrations for
that reason.

Bruce Lindenmayer responded to those comments as follows: