canberrabirds

Pied Currawong behaviour

To: "'Jack & Andrea Holland'" <>, <>
Subject: Pied Currawong behaviour
From: "Julian Robinson" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 23:33:24 +1000

Jack – I’m not sure that this is what you were commenting on, but we’ve had 35-45 currawongs around and calling various different calls (nothing unusual) for much of the time for four weeks, mostly in the adjacent golf course but also our place and across the road.  The interesting thing is that at the complex the normally resident starlings have completely disappeared in that time.  And the pair of mynas.  I can’t remember the last time I didn’t see a starling on the antennae, and I assume it’s the currawongs that have achieved this feat.

In fact there are even fewer species than normal other than the ‘wongs.  Almost a bird desert apart from overflyers and brief visitors.  Even a large group of 14 Red Wattlebirds was harassed out of their tree the other day.