canberrabirds

Rowes Lagoon and Lake George scarp

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Rowes Lagoon and Lake George scarp
From: Dennis Ayliffe <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 19:50:14 +1000
I did a quick trip this afternoon out to Rowes Lagoon on the Federal Highway just past Collector. Conditions were less than ideal - windy and cold. Saw two prs of hardhead ducks, plenty of skittish purple swamp hens and lots of Eurasian coots. There were also some unidentifiable swifts taking above the reeds about 100m offshore.  I thought I saw a pr of grey teal on the far side of the lagoon but the wind made it difficult to get a steady image in my spotting scope. I am also 90% certain I saw a swamp harrier doing a high level fast pass across the wind for the length of the lagoon.

I drove up onto the Lake George scarp (probably better known as the Cullerin scarp to all those geologists out there) along Marked Tree Road and flushed a beautiful wedge tail eagle from a recently deceased kangaroo on the side of the road. It flew somewhat ponderously in front of my vehicle for about 30 metres  before gaining height to clear the roadside trees. It did the same thing about 30 mins later when I drove back that way. On both occasions once it got airborne it received close attention from a harrying magpie.
Dennis Ayliffe

0400168825