canberrabirds

Backyard Butcherbird

To: "'Rod's Gardening'" <>, <>
Subject: Backyard Butcherbird
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 21:10:38 +1000
Hi Rod,

You asked  Are Grey Butcherbirds frequent visitors to Canberra gardens? Obviously this question is answered in The GBS Report, of which you have a copy. However I would also indicate that the species has significantly increased its abundance and prevalence in Canberra gardens since The GBS Report was published. This trend is shown from the COG ABR since then. Unfortunately though, with no update of The GBS Report available or likely, that is about it for published cohesive information to address your question. Not surprisingly and I think I have mentioned this before, the book Birds In Canberra Gardens V2 does not display the intelligence to provide any mention of this information.  This has all been written before on this chat line in the last year or so. The change is in itself curious, as the species is a common urban bird elsewhere. I think it has just taken time for it to learn to adapt locally.