canberrabirds

ANU biodiversity bird surveys

To: "'CanberraBirds'" <>
Subject: ANU biodiversity bird surveys
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 17:04:42 +1000
A rather dull day of birding it appeared. My best bird was a female Rose
Robin, in a pine tree adjacent to the fenced off garden area of the Vice
Chancellor's house. But I would not recommend that bird as easy to find
(even if it stays there).

As for David's question, I'd suggest: An adult male feeding an adult female
as pair bonding behaviour as the most likely possibility. HANZAB describes
that. The curious thing is timing, but we really don't know when the birds
around Canberra commence breeding behaviour. We only get to see the DY and
that is normally a narrow period of time here. I suggest it is more late for
a DY feeding than early for a courtship feeding.