canberrabirds

FW: Double-barred Finches; and Quail

To: "martin butterfield" <>, "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Subject: FW: Double-barred Finches; and Quail
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 18:26:26 +1000
I have seen DBFs  on a semi-regular basis (though not for a while) at the top of Menzie Place in Kambah.

I also had a nice sighting of Brown Quail at the top of Oakey hill this morning.  There were 7 sunning themselves on the bitumen on the Lyons side.  I stopped as soon as I saw them and was surprised when they didn't flush (as they usually have in my previous encounters) as I was only about 10 metres away and they were looking attentively at me.  After maybe 30 seconds they started moving off in single file TOWARDS me and into the shallow drainage ditch below the reservoir.  They looked more like rodents than birds as they manoeuvred their way through the grass.  After approaching to about 3 metres they flushed as one and flew off out of sight around the reservoir.  Certainly the first time I've encountered them out in the open with resultant excellent view.

Geoffrey, 2 BFCS also on Oakey Hill this morning.

Cheers

Rod