canberrabirds

Race and sub species?

To: "'John Layton'" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: Race and sub species?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 18:22:47 +1000
Different words that describe exactly the same thing. That is a general comment. Maybe the word sub species only applies if it has been scientifically described and published as such with a named holotype somewhere. But even then they are still races. The only exception that I can think of is with our own species where you can generally refer to different races or racial origins of people but if you call them different subspecies, various people may be offended. However it is often hard to define what it is about these groups. For example the different forms of Australian Magpie are called both terms. We identify them by back patterns. However Magpies vary geographically in several characters that do not necessarily correlate with back colours.