canberrabirds

Raptor description ID please? and extensive Molongolo River tree clearan

To: <>
Subject: Raptor description ID please? and extensive Molongolo River tree clearance
From: "casburnj" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 18:04:35 +1000

Midday today – a ride along the cycle path from Streeton Drive to Scrivener Dam.  Very large machinery tearing willows poplars and all shrubbery from along the edges of the Molongolo River at a very rapid rate.  The river is in full view from the path and wide expanses next to the river are cleared.  I was told by a worker that they intend to clear both sides of the river.  This dismays me a bit as Darters, and Cormorants were beginning to nest there more frequently.  There will be no nest or roosting sites left!  Does COG know of this?

Raptor ID for anyone who might know please – if you can tell from my description:

Medium large raptor over grassland between the Australian Defence College and the Parkway overpass.

Circling above my head and then circling high in the sky a bit like it was in currents.

Mostly underside views but brownish above

Pale golden underneath – no distinguishing markings except for dark spreading fingers at the end of rounded wings

Tail feathers fanned as well as elongated at times – appeared to be slightly barred

Voice – four cut off whistles repeated occasionally

Australian Kestrel buzzing around it at low altitude – did not seem to alarm the bird.

Was it an old adult Brown Gosshawk?