canberrabirds

B-doubles and Double Bs

To: COG List <>
Subject: B-doubles and Double Bs
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 15:09:00 +1000
Following Milburns post yesterday about a Double-banded Plover I took myself to the turf farm puddles (sometime haunt of Caspian Terns I seem to recall) and braved the passing B doubles to scan the pools with my 'scope.  As there seemed to be workers in the area it was pleasant to still find about 5 Black-fronted Dotterels scurrying around.  No Double -banded Plovers of any vintage.

A consequent visit to pond 5 (as enumerated in the defunct box by the gate) of the poo-pits found another 7 Black-fronted Dotterels and again nothing with double bands.

Still having a bit of time on my hands I called in at Norgrove Park to see what was around.  Nothing exciting in the way of waterbirds but a feeding flock of 15 Double-barred Finches, at least 30 Red-browed Finches and a dozen Yellow-rumped thornbills got my pulse above the comatose level.  A snap of part of the flock is attached.

Martin