canberrabirds

Family birding BIg Day

Subject: Family birding BIg Day
From: milburn <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 22:58:34 +1000
A family outing provided a series of interesting bird sightings today.

Firstly, a very dark (first year) Swamp Harrier was soaring over Jerrabomberra Grassland NR (west) this morning at around 11:55 (commentary from Harrier Distribution Theorists welcomed). It was an incongruous sight among the model aeroplanes against the vivid blue winter sky!

A Restless Flycatcher was seen at the entrance gate to the Namadgi Visitors Centre and then shortly afterwards (presumably) another individual was located in the visitors car park at Lanyon Homestead. One cannot overlook the connection between a restless disposition and frequency of observation in visitor's car parks!

Late this afternoon I felt compelled to check out the shorebirds at the inviting looking puddles at the Turf Farm adjacent to the Monaro Highway, which I had noticed this morning. Among the Black-fronted Dotterel was a first year Double-banded Plover. Unfortunately, the birds flew off just after I stopped to look at them and I was uanable to relocate the Double-banded Plover.

Milburn