canberrabirds

Tawny Frogmouth for my GBS

Subject: Tawny Frogmouth for my GBS
From: Duncan McCaskill <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 11:35:18 +1000
I don't think Frogmouths are always very choosy about their roosting sites. Maybe its because they pick them in the dark.

The top two photos below show a couple of frogmouths in a small leafless deciduous tree in a suburban backyard in the Adelaide hills. Only the one on the right tried the cryptic pose, and when it did the other one sidled over to it and gave it a shove, as if to tell it to stop being so silly. They may have been young ones. A pair of frogmouths had successfully bred in the area the year before. There were plenty of large eucalypts to choose from, but choose this site, less than 2m above the ground.

The bottom left photo show ones in a large casurina at Casurina Sands, near where the pair had a nest with young. And another in a small eucalypt showing that you can't be inconspicuous if you have an itch that demands attention.

Inline images 1

Duncan.