canberrabirds

Winter Birds 2012

To: <>
Subject: Winter Birds 2012
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 15:50:13 +1000

As there is some interest, I propose we conduct the Winter Birds exercise again, previously done in 2010.  The object of this is to record any Winter occurrence of 11 species generally – or sometimes – regarded as absent from this area in the colder months although perhaps not ‘migrants’ in the sense that they quit south-eastern Australia altogether.  The exercise is for the 8 weeks to July 31, starting next Wednesday June 6.  It is directed to the following eleven species:

Fan-tailed Cuckoo

Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike

A Reed-Warbler

Rufous Whistler

Rufous Songlark

Western Gerygone

W-t Gerygone

Noisy Friarbird

Olive-backed Oriole

Dusky Woodswallow

Yellow-faced Honeyeater [added for this year]

The  method is that during those 8 weeks all observations of those species in the COG area, with numbers and the (shortly stated) location, are sent to me by email.  Reports can be sent when obs are made or weekly or as convenient.   I shall give periodic reports and a final report.  In 2010 all those species were recorded except for the Rufous Songlark and the White-throated Gerygone.  My own view is that this year bush bird numbers overall are at a low point, and conditions in the local area might prove to be less hospitable for the species concerned.  However, we shall see.  The exercise depends on your willingness to send me reports.  In 2010, 56 observers contributed at least one report.  I shall re-send this message as a reminder from time to time.

gd