canberrabirds

this year's Leeton bird fair has been cancelled

To: Cog line <>
Subject: this year's Leeton bird fair has been cancelled
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 11:04:30 +1000
I'd already had a message about this from Mike Shultz, but from the local Leeton paper today:

THE Australian Birdfair, previously held on an annual basis in Leeton, has been cancelled for the second year in a row.

Organisers have cited flooding at the Fivebough and Tuckerbil wetlands as the main reason why the event has been cancelled.

Extensive rain and flooding at the beginning of March meant the area was covered by water, which still hasn't drained and is unlikely to in the near future.

The birdfair has been held in Leeton shire for five years and attracts many "twitchers" and visitors to town.

Last year's event was cancelled after organisers decided not to go ahead with it due to business and personal reasons.

Co-organiser Mike Schultz said the wetlands were supposed to be a focal point of the birdfair, but flooding had ruled that out.

"Due to the flooding we had been considering cancelling it for sometime," he said.

"We did have preliminary plans in place (for the event) and we had booked venues.

"Unfortunately, considering the circumstances, we won't be able to go ahead this year."

Mr Schultz said the wetlands were still under water, including its pathways and the area surrounding the information board.

"I doubt that water will be gone by the time we were to host the birdfair," he said.

Organisers have since been sending out emails and using Facebook to let visitors and the community know the event won't take place this year.

Mr Schultz was unsure about the future of the birdfair and said it would be something that would be addressed before next year.

Sandra H