canberrabirds

Lake Rd, Bungendore

Subject: Lake Rd, Bungendore
From: Stephanie Haygarth <>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 18:50:53 +1000
This afternoon we drove along Lake Road to the end and back, stopping for a few
small walks. We only had small binox so couldn't be sure but there appeared to
be 50-60 birds out in the water about level with Mirramu that looked like
Black-winged stilts and/or Avocets. Maybe someone else has seen them? They fed
by waving their bills in the water in the side-to-side motion described in
books as being used by Avocets but it was very hard to see any detail because
they were so far away. Couldn't see the red head but thought there were head
markings of some kind. Someone with a scope would have a much better view.

Near the end of the road we also found a large flock of mixed finches, possibly
as many as 50 — again hard to tell but this time because they were constantly
in motion in the grass, trees and on the fences. Double bars, Redbrows and some
sparrows, with a few Silvereyes among them.

Also a hobby, a Wedgetailed eagle, a Black-shouldered kite, a constant
northerly flow of Yellow-faced honeyeaters and a female Musk duck on the
dam/lake/wetland over the road from 'The Lake' property.

Steph and Matt