canberrabirds

Minimally moving Goshawk

To: <>
Subject: Minimally moving Goshawk
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 15:46:49 +1000
This will probably only amuse you if you have a really dull day.

Driving to Woden from Kambah at about 11:20 am today. I saw an adult female Brown Goshawk perched on the light pole above the exit ramp from Tuggeranong Parkway to Woden (R) or Weston (L). Nothing odd about that, I often see one of them on those light poles. I point out the bird to Sophia, who accuses me of being a bad driver, looking around at birds instead of the road. To which I say there are no other cars here and I have been doing that for 30+ years. So I know how to safely identify a Brown Goshawk on a pole at about 70 km/h. Where she comes from, bird watching whilst driving is not wise or productive. More to the point about an hour later going back home, I observe presumably the same bird now perched on the light pole above the entry ramp to Tuggeranong Parkway from Woden. It gives me a laugh. In case anyone doesn't know, these poles would be about 50 metres apart. Hence the minimally moving Goshawk and my really dull day.