canberrabirds

Jerra-Wetlands before the crowds

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: Jerra-Wetlands before the crowds
From: Susanne Gardiner <>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 14:24:01 +0100 (BST)
Hi all

had an enjoyable 1-2 hours this morning at Jerrabomberra Wetlands, starting around 7:30am so no one around and the first cyclist not until nearly 8.

Nothing really out of the ordinary. There were 2 Pacific Black ducklings in Kelly's Swamp swimming quite independently - lots of Pacific Blacks around, but none following or leading.

From the hides on the Kingston side I watched 2 Black-fronted Dotterel preening and washing, and 2 Black Swans doing bits of courtship feather ruffling and heads dancing up and down.

In that "puddle" past the Ardea hide were 4 Ibis, 2 Masked Lapwing and 1 White-faced Heron in close proximity, which was great to compare sizes.
Good comparison also of 3 Magpies and a falcon of some sort (hobby?) on the electricity lines over the paddock.

... and I swear birds just know when you do not have a camera on you. Had great light and was quite close to 2 White-Plumed Honeyeaters (just past Cygnet hide).

I actually haven't seen Ibises for a while and then today after the 4 at the wetlands, I saw a flock of about 15 on the ADFA sports fields as I whizzed passed, White and Straw-necked together.

Cheers, Susanne