canberrabirds

Corellas

To: <>
Subject: Corellas
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 18:26:42 +1000
Hello subscribers,

I have always thought corellas were peri-urban on the Tablelands (most of my sightings at home are of them flying out towards the Cotter and back), so it was a surprise when we parked the car at the top end of Kelly Road (between Williamsdale and Michelago) this morning at 7:25 to start the K2C survey to see first a flock of 30 and then shortly after 70 fly straight past heading S.

It was an even bigger surprise when we arrived after 10 am to do our site at Ingelara, a good 20 km further S (and about 50 km S of the Canberra urban fringe), to find a huge mixed flock of corellas and sulphur-crested cockatoos in the exotic trees beside the large dam on this property.  At least 70 of the former flew off shortly after heading SE and were not seen again, leaving most of the latter behind (over 100 of them!).

I expect most were Little Corellas, though I can not rule out some Long-billeds amongst them.

Jack Holland