canberrabirds

WA and ringnecks

To: "'Shaun Bagley'" <>, "'Nick Payne'" <>
Subject: WA and ringnecks
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:13:05 +1000
It is fairly well established that the Rainbow Lorikeets in SW Australia
were introduced. HANZAB gives more information on that. This does not
confirm: "The rumour was that they had been released from an aviary at the
school of zoology by accident." But it could be consistent with the general
time and location as Shaun suggests.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Shaun Bagley
 Sent: Friday, 20 April 2012 4:26 AM   To:
'Nick Payne'
Cc:   Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] WA and
ringnecks

Nick,

>From 1968 to 1970, I used to see a small party of 6 or 7 Rainbow
>Lorikeets
fling over the grounds of the University of Western Australia. The rumour
was that they had been released from an aviary at the school of zoology by
accident, but I have never been able to confirm that.

As you and Elizabeth Compston have observed they have increased enormously
and are now a pest. So much so that the WA Dept of Agriculture is taking
active control steps see
http://www.sciencewa.net.au/topics/agriculture/item/1267-rainbow-lorikeet-po
pulation-under-control

On visits to Perth in recent years, I have been pleasantly surprised to see
a number of 28s, though not as many as before. Mind you they never created
the noisy flocks that the Rainbows do. They are a much more subtle bird,
quite easy to overlook despite their size. What I have not seen are the
indigenous Purple-crowned Lorikeets that used to be common in the uni
grounds and often seen in proximity of blossoming eucalypts in the suburbs
of Perth.

Shaun Bagley

-----Original Message-----From: Nick Payne
 Sent: Monday, 16 April 2012 6:42 AM

When I was growing up in Perth in the 1960s, Twenty-eight Parrots were quite
common around the suburb where we lived. However, on recent visits, they
seem to have been almost completely displaced by the introduced Rainbow
Lorikeets, which I don't remember at all from the 1960s. Now, it's not until
you get substantially away from the city that you start to see Twenty-eights
in any number.

Rainbow Lorikeets there are viewed much the same as Indian Mynahs here, and
the State departments of Agriculture and Conservation and Environment
support a program of trapping and shooting in an attempt to control and
reduce their numbers.

Nick