canberrabirds

[Fwd: Lake George] - student seeking information

To: Michael and Janette Lenz <>
Subject: [Fwd: Lake George] - student seeking information
From: Denis Wilson <>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 18:07:58 +1000
Thanks Michael, for your response.

I always found Don Lamm's surveys interesting. in that he was the only person I knew who could regularly report Australian Bitterns. He seemed to flush them from within the deep drainage channels through the northern end of Lake George (technically NOT Lake area as such), but amongst the long grasses in the area he surveyed. As you rightly point out that area has been grazed for a very long time, now (about 30 years, or more likely 50 years).

While on the topic of Lake George, Professor Philip Pells, an hydrogeologist and Geotechnical Engineer, who has recently done a series of studies on the Thirlmere Lakes, recently commented to me that Lake George has the longest running set of water level data records of any Lake in Australia.
http://www.pellsconsulting.com.au/

He then said that those data collection studies had been abandoned in recent years (which in view of the recent return of  water in the Lake has proven to be an unfortunate decision). Apparently the data is held (buried within) Geoscience Australia  http://www.ga.gov.au/

Cheers

Denis Wilson.