canberrabirds

Osprey, Peaceful Dove and Golden Bronze-cuckoo in the ACT

To: COG list <>
Subject: Osprey, Peaceful Dove and Golden Bronze-cuckoo in the ACT
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 13:37:01 +1000
I record this with much trepidation for obvious reasons.

This morning we found ourselves free of commitments for the first time in a while, so we decided on a walk at Shepherd's Lookout. On Sturt Island (confluence of the Molongolo and Murrumbidgee Rivers), for around 35 minutes, there was a juvenile Osprey. It was perched when first seen, stooped after a while, missed, flew around to another perch and was then chased off by (what I took to be) a female Wedge-tailed Eagle. When last seen the Osprey was headed downstream towards Shepherd's Lookout.

I managed to take several photos, which, while lacking perfect clarity are sufficient, IMHO, to confirm the sighting beyond doubt. I will be putting in an unusual records submissions. Details that can be gleaned from the photos: small bill in proportion compared to massive bill of Sea Eagle, dark stripe through eye, white underparts and leggings except for brown breast, slight crest, glide profile (as in Morcombe), overall brown on the back, as well as several other lesser features.

regards
Con