canberrabirds

jerra wetlands

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: jerra wetlands
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 14:31:17 +1100

There seems to be an awful lot of hysteria going on about the hides and particularly the open day that was held at the wetlands a few months back. I went down to see what was going on and in the time I was there the birds were quite happy with Jumping castles, sausage sizzles, a gigantic white ibis and all manner of other noisy and potentially scary activities. Please read aloud to yourself if you are concerned – the birds didn’t give two hoots about what was happening around them. I have been bird-watching down there for nearly 50 years and nothing has changed with the birds. If a Johnny-come-latey don’t like what is going on down there the answer is simple –DON”T GO. I bet the jumping castles etc on the day did more for conservation than a single birder with a camera will ever do. It is a public area, like it or not, the same as Callum Brae, Mulligan’s Flat, Campbell Park, Kama, Tidbinbilla and all Canberra’s Nature Parks.

Some people need to get a life!

Mark

PS, I don’t care if I am kicked off the chat line if we have to put up with some of the crap that people come up with!