canberrabirds

Lake Rd Bungendore

Subject: Lake Rd Bungendore
From: Erika Roper <>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:22:27 +1100
On a trip I took along Lake Rd on the 10th March I counted 17 Australasian Grebes (some of them juvs I think), and at least 15 Black Ducks (with 6 chicks) on the Big Dam. I also counted a few coots and moorhens. Unfortunately this was late in the afternoon so the glare on the dam was really bad and there may have been more birds out on the water that I couldn't see/identify. There were also DB Finches on the fenceline bordering the road.

The western side of the lake is the place to be right now. I went out to a property on Sunday with Micheal Lenz while he was doing waterbird counts and there were (if I recall correctly) Pink Eared Ducks, Grey Teal, Chestnut Teal, Hardhead, Shelducks, Black Ducks, Black Swans, and coots. I need to get the list from Michael, but I am sure that if he reads this he will be more than happy to correct my list if needs be.

There are also Black-fronted Dotterels (7+) and Australian Shelducks (2) at the Bungendore Sewage Works at the moment.