canberrabirds

Singapore

To: "'Con Boekel'" <>, "'COG list'" <>
Subject: Singapore
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 09:06:48 +1100
G'day all,

I totally agree with Con on birding in Singapore, it is a fantastic place
and virtually the only city where I feel safe - that includes Canberra!! I
have been there many times and saw my first ever woodpecker in the excellent
botanic gardens which are just up the road from the hotel we usually stay
in. There is an excellent bird guide in Singapore, known and used by many
COG members, named Subaraj Rajathuru that I have been out with several
times. He seems to have access to all sorts of unusual places and on one
trip I did we ended up before dawn in the top golf course in Singapore -
past armed security guards I might add. The first three birds that morning
were Grey Nightjar, Malaysian Eared Nightjar and Large-tailed Nightjar. A
bit later while waiting for the sun to rise  completely (and for the
Grey-headed Fish-Eagle to appear), he spoke to a group of golfers waiting to
tee off. Included in the group was Singapore's Finance Minister and he and
Sub had quite a long discussion about various things. If you have the time
Sub can also take you into southern Malaysia (the Panti Forest) and I used
him on an Indonesian Island just off the Singapore coast - I added one bird
and one reptile to the island's wildlife list.

The only problems I have found in Singapore is the very rapid rate of
development. Places that in the past I have visited that were reclaimed
coastal land with heaps of interesting species suddenly become developed.
One classic case was a patch of reclaimed land that suddenly became Terminal
3 at Changi Airport! The other problem is, despite its reputation, away from
the city it is just like anywhere else in the world with rubbish everywhere.
I don't know how you found Palau Ubin, but when I was there it was a pigsty.
Perhaps things have changed since 2004, I hope so.

The Common (Indian) Myna is actually naturally occurring on Singapore and as
Con noted, is being severely harassed by the White-vented (Javan) Myna to
the point where it is becoming quite rare on the Island, especially in the
city.

Like Con I would recommend a Singapore stop over if you are travelling from
Europe or elsewhere. Bird wise people won't be disappointed.

Mark