canberrabirds

Upper Duffy - 12md Spotted or Swamp Harrier?

To: <>
Subject: Upper Duffy - 12md Spotted or Swamp Harrier?
From: "casburnj" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 12:57:00 +1100

       A very short view of this bird being harassed in the air by 2 A Ravens – their calls alerted me as the trio turned back towards Narrabundah Hill.

The overall impression of this large bird was beige/ochre coloured underbelly, underside of wings also pale ochre with a dark patch on the end of the wings with dark spread fingertips.  Wing beats were rhythmic, heavy and slow.  I did not see any dark markings around the head.

From Pizzey I thought maybe a juvenile Spotted Harrier or female Swamp Harrier.  Is it possible to tell from my description please?

Thanks

Jean