canberrabirds

Black and White bird of prey?

Subject: Black and White bird of prey?
From: "Paul T." <>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:04:27 +1100
Howdy All,

Warning....... beginner type question. If this is a concern, please ignore the rest of this message.

Yesterday afternoon I was coming back from Woden to Higgins when I noted a bird hovering in the classic hawk/falcon/bird of prey type stationary position peering down at the ground. It was up on the hillside above the road heading towards Higgins from Coppins Crossing Road, at a reasonable distance but unmistakeably hovering in traditional fashion. The big thing that surprised me was that it was definitely black and white (or perhaps black, grey and white), not the usual shades of brown that I associate with birds of prey. Underside was predominantly white, although not completely unmarked, with the wings darker but various shadings within. As to colour arrangements I could not tell you more than that. It was almost similar in colouration to a seagul, but the proportions were all wrong and they don't hover that way. I have little to no knowledge of birds of prey, other than the basic shape etc. I couldn't tell a collared sparrowhawk from whatever if my life depended on it, most likely. I only know there are collared sparrowhawks due to this list! <grin>. The size of the bird was relatively small, hawk sized as opposed to eagle size, but not a small hawk either. I was driving in a group of cars, so I couldn't stop to look properly, and it isn't easy to turn or pull off in that area just starting to head up the hill. I just do not associate black and white with the birds of prey of this size? Any ideas what it could be? I have no way to verify itt either way, and may never see it again for a better look, but it piqued my curiosity for the unusual colouration.

Thanks for any help, if it rings any bells with anyone. if not, it will just have to remain in my memory as the unknown black and white bird of prey. LOL

Cheers.

Paul T.
Higgins, ACT.