canberrabirds

Pre-boating photing

To: <>
Subject: Pre-boating photing
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 15:22:52 +1100

With tomorrows boating venture in mind, I took a brief walk down the path on the north side, at midday.  I saw about a dozen darter nests at various stages.  A problem might be not how to get close but how to stay far enough away, particularly at the narrowest part of the waterway.  At that point, adults are likely to vacate nests unless they are very brazen.  I suppose a few minutes will be OK.  After all they get plenty of canoeists and fisherpersons close at hand.  Despite reports of cormorant nests at the other end, I didn’t see any of those along this stretch.  Perhaps deeper in the greenery. In the below the female on the left is tending a VERY small nestling (arrow).  The male on the right appeared to be clearing away vermin or fouled material, without much help from his brood.