canberrabirds

Chestnut teal

Subject: Chestnut teal
From: Julian Teh <>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:42:46 +1100
Everytime I'm at the ANU, I take a quick detour down to a large pond near the
soccer field across from Melville hall.
Recently, the pair os swans hatched and reared four chicks there, as did
several wood ducks and pacific black ducks.
But the real reason I go down there is for the teal. I see grey teal every
time, and being such an ametuer  birdwatcher I have never been able to
distinguish grey teal from chestnut teal hens.
Yesterday, finally, my persistence paid off with my first ever sighting of a
chestnut teal, an adult male swimming with what I assume to be his mate.
I did a small victory dance on the pond edge, as the teal watched with bemused
expressions.

My full list from the pond that day:
Chestnut Teal
Grey Teal
Masked Lapwing
Great Cormorant (juvenile, still had brown plumage and little yellow at the
base of it's beak)
Little Pied Cormorant
Little Black cormorant (hunting party of 3 birds)
Pacific Black Duck
Australian Wood Duck
Moorhen
Eurasian Coot
Yellow Rumped Thornbill
Black swan (pair with 4 nearly independent chicks)

Also of note, when I was riding around the western part of Lake Burley Griffyn
the other day, I noticed a pair of Black Fronted Dotterels near the yacht club,
the second time I have seen these birds, and a single dusky woodswallow (a
first for me). In a recent post on the chatline, Someone (Philip Veerman I
think?) said he had never seen the Large Pied Cormorant at the lake… I saw 5
birds on my trip.

Cheers, Julian