canberrabirds

Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo

To: "Erika Roper" <>
Subject: Horsfield's Bronze-Cuckoo
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 14:35:04 +1100
Erica, yes most definitely, the stripe through the eye distinguishes it from the Shining, and the rufous edges to the tail you can see on the third slide (bird on the ground) are very diagnostic (it used to be called the Rufous-tailed Bronze-cuckoo!).  It also appears to be shown on the second slide.

In fact the third slide looks much more like a more mature bird – are you sure the first two are the same bird, or is the other perhaps one of the original “parents” hanging around as they sometimes do?

It’s not an unusual bird for our area, though there don’t seem to have been that many round this year (see my column p1 of the February Gang-gang).

Regards

Jack Holland