canberrabirds

Black Shouldered Kites etc in Ngunnawal

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Black Shouldered Kites etc in Ngunnawal
From: Alberta Hayes <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 14:19:27 +1100
Hi everyone!
Having moved for the 4th time in a year, this time to Ngunnawal, I'm having a great deal of fun finding out what is around this area.

The Ngunnawal Koel has been a regular near Tangari Street, however my friend Alyssa has unfortunately had it calling right outside her window for the majority of Summer (or so it would feel like!). She is in Nicholls. It seems to have moved on though, thus allowing her a sleep in for school holidays (she is 14).

I have seen more Black Shouldered Kites living here for the past three months than I have in the rest of my life combined. The most regularly at the interesection of Horse Park Drive and Gundaroo Drive. There always seem to be 2 hovering around there.

Unfortunately, the scurge of Spotted Turtle Doves has followed me here, as in the past three months I have spotted one on our roof every now and then. This is somewhat tempered by the fact we had a Willie Wagtail nest in our neighbours yard for the Spring and they successfully had 2 chicks.

The drive down to Woden every day for work has also given me very good views of a Little Eagle, we have a Boobook somewhere around here, and Yerrabi Pond offers a Musk Duck family, which I havent had near a house I've lived in in years.

Hope the long post wasn't too annoying,
Alberta from Monash, then Chapman, then Calwell, then Watson, now Ngunnawal.