canberrabirds

Field guides strike again - rosella nesting

To: "'Chris Davey'" <>, "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>, <>
Subject: Field guides strike again - rosella nesting
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:34:20 +1100
The comment by Chris provides a consistent context for me to describe what happened with the next box (from the Myna project) I can see from my kitchen and study window in this current spring & summer. Apart from a week away in January I am pretty much home all day every day, so I think this is a full story. Last year (2010-2011) it attracted only Mynas. This year it had a pair of Eastern Rosellas attending it from GBS weeks 36 to 43. The male would sit on the box and chatter and tail wag whilst the female would go in. In week 43 I observed one dispute lasting just a minute or two of this pair of Eastern Rosellas with a pair of Crimson Rosellas at the site and have never seen the Eastern Rosellas return. The pair of Crimson Rosellas were an adult plumaged male with a female that is still in mostly green plumage. They attended from weeks 43 to 48. I assumed just one pair and whilst the female spent a lot of time in the box, I could usually see her head at the entrance hole which shows she could not have been sitting in the box, just clinging to the inside wall. At one time I saw a second pair of Crimson Rosellas also one adult plumaged one and one still in mostly green plumage have a fight over the box. Such that then I didn't know who was the "rightful owner" as I couldn't see any difference between these two pairs. In week 48 we had a heavy rainstorm and they abandoned it and nothing has used it since.