canberrabirds

id confirmed and dollarbirds

To: COG <>
Subject: id confirmed and dollarbirds
From: jude hopwood <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 07:14:19 +1100
Dear All,

I posted a request for an id with description but no photo on January 19.  Philip Veerman has identified them accurately as a pair of juvenile Olive-backed Orioles, probably nest siblings.  This is at Currawang, South-East of Collector on the COG Survey grid, in an old sheep paddock with ten-year old new plantings.  We had a clear sighting of a single adult some years back on one occasion.  I have thought I could hear the call a number of times, but not sufficiently confident in identifying it accurately.  Pics that Philip provided, plus the BIB also have a couple of photos that are identical to the youngsters I described here.

Newline Quarry: my quarry was Crested Shrike Tit - none.  But a pair of Dollarbirds clearly perching (some photos I took not worth posting clearly show prominent perching and correct shape, but not adequate for colour), flying off a couple of times and each time circling back to the same dead tree brances, clearly showing their light patches under the wing.  Wednesday walk with Martin we glimpsed a pair at Burra, as well.

Jude