canberrabirds

Wednesday walk to Burra

To: COG List <>,
Subject: Wednesday walk to Burra
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 16:21:52 +1100
17 members and guests had a most enjoyable, albeit un-cold, walk to Ian Anderson's property at Burra this morning.  Many thanks Ian for inviting us and guiding us around the property.

The visit started by everyone registering on the redesigned - and greatly improved (thank you Michael Robbins) - sign-up sheet.  Once we started birding we did well, endingd up writing down a good haul of 38 species on and around the property, including Crested Pigeons and Galahs seen on the approach road, but NOT including the Helmeted Guineafowl seen grazing on the verge.

The highlight was a Yellow-faced Honeyeater nest attached to a vine outside Ian's cottage.  A quick peek showed 2 eggs in the nest, but as the bird was in the vicinity no further disruption was offered.  A Peregrine Falcon nest was also seen but the chicks had fledged and left a few weeks ago.

A good crop of Thornbills was harvested with Yellow-rumped, Buff-rumped and Yellow seen before we moved from the parking area and Striated and Brown added later.  A Speckled Warbler warbled convincingly and a White-throated Gerygone emitted th e"tinkling fall of diamonds call" as well as a young bird (little white on the throat) prsenting very good views close to the group. Red Wattlebirds, Noisy Miners and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters were common in the trees and single of Noisy Friarbird and Easter Spinebill added to the diversity of the area.

As it is still summer (indeed, some would say this is the first summery weather since November) we saw a couple of migrants in Dollarbird and Dusky Woodswallow.

A full list of species seen will be posted on the Trips page of the website in due course.

Details of the February outing will be advertised on the Chatline and the Trips page of the website (and hopefully in a Gang-gang)when arrangements have been made.

Martin Butterfield