canberrabirds

wood duck?

To: "'Bob Rusk'" <>
Subject: wood duck?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 23:27:19 +1100
Well we can learn something new every day. Maybe that is the highlight of my 55 birthday today (not really)! Of course someone could rightly correct me that it should be Australian Wood Duck. Trouble is I have to admit ignorance on your suggestion and I don't have a strong idea what wood tastes like, as I don't eat that much of it. Maybe it tastes like Eucalyptus, whereas Wood Ducks from other parts of the world e.g. USA taste like some other sort of wood.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Bob Rusk [ Sent: Tuesday, 17 January 2012 11:07 PM     To: Philip Veerman
Cc: COG     Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] wood duck?

Hi !
Philip, I will have to disagree with your statement that the name Wood Duck being hardly distinctive or useful. If you have ever tried cooking one and attempted to dine on it, it will soon become apparent that this bird's name wasn't chosen willy-nilly.
Bob

From: Philip Veerman
m("pcug.org.au","pveerman");">To: 'jude hopwood' <>; Sent: Tuesday, 17 January 2012 10:06 PM      Subject: RE: [canberrabirds] wood duck?

They are 2 Pacific Black Ducks & 2 Wood Ducks (I prefer to call them Maned Ducks). These are the 2 most common species of ducks in Canberra. I have not heard of the names Western Black Ducks or Teal Ducks. Teal are ducks, or more precisely, teals are a group of species of typical ducks (genus Anas), in Australia these are the Grey Teal & Chestnut Teal.  Wood Ducks are NOT Teals. It is odd that someone would call Wood Ducks Teal Ducks. But then the name Wood Duck is hardly a distinctive or useful name.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: jude hopwood [ Sent: Tuesday, 17 January 2012 8:16 PM      To:
Subject: [canberrabirds] wood duck?

Dear all,

Tuesday, January 10th, a friend and myself were present at Kellys Swamp when an RSPCA carer released four ducklings into the swamp.  She described two as Western Black Ducks which they clearly were.  The other two she described as Teal Ducks.  A COG member - with a VERY big telelens on his camera - said Oh what lovely Wood ducks.

Pics attached.  Advice, anyone?  Are wood ducks and teal ducks one and the same thing?  None of my refs say so.

By the way, enormous carp clearly cruising nearby.  Only one pelican, though.  Three lovely black-billed spoonbills doing their thing and a Great big Cormorant.

Ta,
Jude Hopwood.