canberrabirds

A few items from Carwoola

To: COG List <>
Subject: A few items from Carwoola
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 11:57:21 +1100
Late last week I sighted the male Tawny Frogmouth for the first time in a bit over 2 weeks.  No chicks in sight so I believe they have been asked to move on.  It will be interesting to see in the female arrives in the near future.  The male has not reappeared in the last 3 days so he is touring the neighbourhood as usual at this time of year.

I have found a Noisy Friarbird nest with young chicks.  Some comments and images at http://franmart.blogspot.com/2012/01/noisy-friarbird-nest.html.

Many of the Yellow Box (Euc meliodora ) in our area are flowering, as is the Blackthorn (Bursaria sp).  Both the nectar and the insects it attracts should bring in the Honeyeaters.  The same might apply in the low country of Canberra.

Marrtin