canberrabirds

Changing vocal habits of the K-bird

To: <>
Subject: Changing vocal habits of the K-bird
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 08:22:10 +1100

This year the pattern of calling by the local koel(s) has been different:

1.       Relatively little of the prolonged ‘oo-wop’ call  -  less frequent, shorter duration and generally more distant (possibly the bird close at hand not doing much at all).

2.       Much more of the ‘wurra-wurra’ call, more often heard than the ‘oo-wop’.

3.       Quite a bit of the ‘whuh-huh-huh’ call.  This is occasionally of the excited kind (I believe given by male or female), but also of the slower kind, sometimes just once (as this morning at 0730), occasionally 3-4 times at intervals.  This might be a contact call.  Once a fast ‘whikh-ikh-ikh-ikh’, a bit like the blackbird alarm call, was given by a male being chased by wattlebirds.

4.       On two occasions this season when 3 birds were about (including 2 males) there was an excited chorus of wurras and whuh-huhs.

5.       Most calling is very early-morning by bird(s) moving about.  It is hardly worth getting up to investigate the caller because a disappearing bird is often all that is to be seen.

I do not believe there are less koels this year, just a different pattern of calling.  I have theories about what is going on, but entirely speculative at this stage.