canberrabirds

Mystery feathers

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Mystery feathers
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 14:13:04 +1100
Thanks Philip.  I had another vote for Tawny Frogmouth so that is what it is.

Martin

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Philip Veerman <> wrote:
Hi Martin,

No mystery. My vote with 99.99999% confidence is: Certainly not a Powerful Owl. Certainly is a Tawny Frogmouth. The really obvious tail feather is long, rather thin and most obviously very mottled grey. Tail feathers of Powerful Owl are short, broad, not mottled and obviously barred. The barred feathers shown are wing feathers.