canberrabirds

Bike & boat - Lake Burley G & Wetlands

To: <>
Subject: Bike & boat - Lake Burley G & Wetlands
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 00:17:14 +1100
My New Years eve fun started while doing a round trip bike ride from the yacht club around the lake shores, thru the wetlands, along the Molonglo River past Duntroon, and return thru Commonwealth Park.

There were numerous sightings of water birds mostly Darters, ducks, coots & Moorhens, & a single Sacred Kingfisher.  Then where the bike path crosses a drain just west of the picnic area opposite Duntroon (and some 30 odd metres from the river itself) I saw what I suspected was a Crake.  By the time I had braked and returned to the spot there was a second bird present, and whilst I am no Crake expert I saw enough detail to later ID them (with help from Messrs Simpson & Day) as Spotless Crakes.

Bike ride completed and inspired by the above sighting I decided it might be opportune to check out possible wader activity on sand and mud flats in the wetlands exposed by the current lower water levels (my first trip to the area since the October Blitz).  As I was launching my kayak I witnessed two Swans engage in a vicious brawl which resulted in one bird having to escape by leaving the water.  The attacking Swan then turned its attention to one of a pair of cygnets which belonged to the vanquished bird - it also managed to escape.  Roy Harvey and I witnessed similar behaviour during the blitz.  The savagery which these serene looking birds can at times exhibit continues to astound me.  Also seen in the distance while launching was the unmistakeable silhouette of a Sea Eagle soaring above Jerrabomberra Creek.

However checking Darter nesting activity was also on my "to do" list, so first stop was the Molonglo River willows.  All up I counted 21 young Darters in 8 or 9 nests, plus another 5 nests with adult birds "on", including one in one of the few remaining willows on the Duntroon side. (I don't think I overestimated, but I may have missed a few).  There were also 2 Little Pied Cormorant nests with birds "on".  It's difficult to be dead accurate with Darters (& Cormorants) as they move about so much, but I estimate there would have been another 30 or so Darters in addition to the above.

Next, as I paddled along the extreme east bank of East Basin I saw 2 Black-fronted Dotterel - but these were on the constructed stone bank, not on an exposed flat as I had thought they might be.

Roosting at the entrance to Jerrabomberra Creek were a number of Darters, and Cormorants, including one Pied Cormorant, possibly two, but the second suspect flew off before I could be certain.  A little further upstream I found the Sea Eagle, a juvenile, possibly second year from The S & D illustration.

Time ran out on New Years eve, so I started the New Year with another paddle to the areas I hadn't been able to cover.  The Sea Eagle was still present, and new sightings included a flushed Latham's Snipe, a raft of 30+ Coots, 5 Pelicans, and on an exposed bank, at least 9 Black-fronted Dotterel (or should that be Plovers - I guess it depends on which book you read).

Happy New Year all.

Rod

Rod Mackay
Tel.  0407 456 330