canberrabirds

Dickson Wetlands

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: Dickson Wetlands
From: Susanne Gardiner <>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 22:30:23 +0000 (GMT)
Hi all

am without a computer (curtesy of some robbers) and have not much opportunity to read and write.  So I hope I don't double up previous information.

The fences around Dickson Wetlands have come down a week or so ago. Some dog owners pointing out ducks to their unleashed dogs.... otherwise the paths seem to be great to ride scooters and roller skates.

saw 2 Little Grebes (definitely) on Saturday morning, possibly 3 later, though then without binos. There were also 3 ducks with slightly bluish bills and speckly coat, which I assume where some Teals.

There are still some Pacific Black families with very small ducklings, all the other ducklings are nearing adulthood.
Then there are the usual suspects - Lapwings and Swallows.

The Guinea Fowl still seems to be going strongly. It can make quite a racket when I pass with my dog, and she (the dog) is a bit scared of it.

Cheers,

Susanne

PS North Ainslie Koel still calling daily. His favourite tree is some big conifer or pine on Sherbrook street, just to the south of the Primary School's playing field.
On 2 occasions I thought there might even be two Koels, though once it could have moved down the road (very quickly) and the other times it may have been an echo/deflection off the school wall. So, not certain of that.