canberrabirds

Rufous Fantail in Ainslie

To: <>
Subject: Rufous Fantail in Ainslie
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 12:03:04 +1100
Yes good. Martin's graph is pretty much the same as the one in The GBS Report (except with extra time detail of being shown by week rather than month). The timing of these observations is not that odd especially so as this is such a mild (cool) start to summer. However the bird's annual pattern is an odd one. It is the only species of all the birds we have, that shows such a strong two peak annual pattern, as described in the text from The GBS Report as below. It also tends to be observed associated with rain events. I don't know how this happens. Richard Allen posted on this some years ago "Riders on the storm" and I think that idea appears to have stood up pretty well.

Rufous Fantail Rhipidura rufifrons

This species is an inhabitant of forest and generally requires dense multi-level vegetation, though it mostly stays in the shrub and low tree level. It is rather less conspicuous in its behaviour and less confiding with people than its close relatives. It is both a north-south and an altitudinal migrant. It comes to our area for the summer but does not stay in the woodland and suburbs but continues into the high country. Whilst in transit it can be found in quite uncharacteristic open habitat, including all suburban areas. It does not stay long, most records are of just one bird on one week, few records are of birds staying for more than a few weeks. Few observers would not consider one of these (most appealing) birds in their area as a highlight. Its monthly pattern is unique, it shows probably the most extreme form of twin peak pattern of any species. This shows on individual years’ data but is even more marked when all years are combined. It inhabits the suburbs only whilst in transit. Unlike most other migrants the duration of migration and numbers of birds is very similar both before and after January. Absent during winter, rare through summer and with clear peaks in November and March. Long-term numbers have fluctuated but appear to be stable.
Graphs on page: 102, Rank: 84, A = 0.00341, F = 8.85%, W = 6.2, R = 0.324%, G = 1.05.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: martin butterfield [ Sent: Friday, 16 December 2011 9:54 AM      To: Steve Holliday
Cc:       Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] Rufous Fantail in Ainslie

Ask and ye shall receive.  In fact, ye shall receive a chart even without asking!

The attached image shows the sum of Rufous Fantails reported each Survey week in the GBS over the 30 processed years of the Survey.  I didn't feel that the extra effort of adjusting for different effort per week would materially affect the overall shape of the chart.  The RH red triangle shows this week (ie Steve's bird) while the other is two weeks earlier representing Alison's sighting.

The ACT Bird Atlas (p122) comments that this species moves through towards breeding territories in October - November and come back starting in February.  A pretty good match to the picture given in the chart.

Martin