canberrabirds

Wetland Stories (4)

To: <>
Subject: Wetland Stories (4)
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 10:45:22 +1100

So, across Corio Bay to the village of Drysdale where quite large numbers of Freckled Duck had been reported on the village lake which nestles picturesquely beside the (now tourist-only) railway line.  I did find about 20 FDs but only a couple had the pink on the bill which marks the breeding male.  I think it likely that most of these largish influxes consist mainly if not entirely of young birds.  Or the weaker, buffy speckling could just be worn plumage I suppose.  The pond in question is known as ‘Lorne Lake’, and attracts a fine variety of waterbirds.  The ducks included blue-bills and hardheads, as well as many Chestnut Teal, this being about as common as the Grey in the Geelong area.  (John Barkla’s survey gave 5730 Grey and 3895 Chestnut.)

Confirming that this is a time for emigres from the semi-arid zone, a lone Black-tailed Native Heron was also in attendance, giving itself away as it scurried bantam-like for cover in a patch of trusty lignum while coots and moorhens grazed unconcernedly.